Monday, February 24, 2014

Off Hand Backhand

“Everybody knows that you're just an assholeEverywhere that you go, people wanna go "Oh, everyone knows"Everybody knows, so don't pretend to be niceThere's no place you can hide, you are just an asshole, everyone knows


The Lefty Backhand should be a fundamental.

a.       I should be able to dump the Frisbee with both backhands.  This way I can box out my mark better and make it a cleaner handoff. 

b.      I should be able to throw an upline lefty.  I can throw it softer and allow my handler to run onto it.  I can protect my upline throw better by having my arm between the mark and the disc.

c.       I should be able to throw hardest/toughest with the lefty.  I can float it better, which means I can throw it earlier.
               
d.      I should be able to catch an incut and dishy it lefty, so that my handler can get power position off of me.

The left backhand does not need to be a high release.  You can use it often from hip height when playing small ball.  On Dishy’s and handoffs you can use it from hip height, on hardest/toughest you can throw it without worrying about a release point. 

If you want to use it as a high release break, you don’t need to put invert on it, although that is technically the right shape.  Putting inverts on a high release lefty is what show offs do.  All you need is to throw it soft and early, and your guy can run onto it.  If you are holding lefty’s back because you are worried about the shape, then you are wasting a lot of opportunities to Joga Bonito. 

Throwing over a badminton net, and doing wrist snaps are the easy ways of getting good at this throw.


Don’t put off hand backhands on a pedestal, it takes about a month to get them game ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment