Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Untrustworthy Throwers

A reoccurring frustration was nailed by McCoy at Nationals this year.  After Illinois was knocked out we were sitting together and he told me that there was a box.  This box represented the space that he could cut to and his handler would be able to get him the ball. McCoy’s conclusion was that Illinois’ box was smaller than every team they had lost to.

This is resonating very loudly for me right now.  If I don’t trust the thrower then it becomes very difficult to cut anywhere.  If I doubt my throwers ability to complete an upline (occurs way more often than it should) then I have no motivation to go upline.  If I doubt my throwers ability to throw a 40 yard away then my deep cuts are half-hearted clears for everyone else. 


If every time you catch the disc you feel a vacuum of your teammates crowding you screaming for the disc; that is because they think you’re a terrible thrower and they are desperately trying to get the disc out of your hands.  If you ever wonder why your handlers stand behind you and dance back and forth, that’s because they think you are a worthless thrower and all they want is for you to stop holding the disc.  If you ever wonder why everyone is standing when you have the disc, it is because no one thinks you can throw anything and they’re all in panic mode.  If you experience this often, you should probably throw more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment