Friday, July 10, 2015

Frustration Download

Time Value of Throwing:

The cornerstone of finance is the concept of time value of money.  Given the choice of receiving $1,000 today and $1,000 in a year, one should always take $1,000 today due to the earning potential of that money once you have it.

There is a time value of throwing; a throw available at the present time is worth more than the same throw in the future due to its potential earning capacity.  I feel that many throwers catch the disc and then wait for 3-4 stalls to pass before they even consider throwing.  During this process they may look off 1 to 2 looks, typically I find that these early looks are the best looks that you get as a thrower.

Rhythm Throwing:

In my own head I call myself a rhythm thrower.  Meaning I want to catch, turn, see and throw.  My lack of an oxford comma is intentional here because my “see and throw” process is a singular moment.  When I have to catch, turn, hesitate and throw, my shot always comes out of my hand poorly.  The classic example is catching an incut, turning, see a teammate downfield (realizing he is standing/deer in headlights/not paying attention) and then throwing some terrible huck.  Conversely when I can catch an incut, turn, and see a teammate downfield (head down busting deep as hard as he can) I find that my shots come out massively better. 

I think this boils down to an element of confidence or belief in the throw.  I want to take shots fast because I want to play the beautiful game, but when the receiver has that look of pure terror on his face that says “please don’t throw it to me” I instantly and dramatically lose confidence resulting in something terrible happening.

In summation, there is nothing more satisfying than throwing to someone who knows where the big box is and is going for it as hard as they can without saving anything for the swim back (cut back).

Tuttling:

There is a plethora of open backhand swings that people are halfheartedly pumping or just blatantly ignoring.  I don’t know what is wrong with them.

The up-line peel:

Imagine your team has the disc on the trapside.  Things are getting clogged in front of the disc.  The first dump handler can “flush” the backfield by driving up-line.  Since there is no space this will never be a good cut.  The defender doesn’t have to guard very much space, and since it’s already crowded an early touch pass is risky meaning you’ll have to wait as a thrower and rely on a tight pass.  BUT, you do not have to throw it to him.  He’s done you a great service by creating a massive space for the backhand around/swing off of the sideline.  Ideally the mark will get a “helpful” “no strike” call from his sideline, which would massively open up a centering pass.

I get frustrated when someone looks off an upline and then continues to stare downfield.  What are you looking at?  The upline runner is in your way, there is nothing for you there!  Turn your head and throw the swing.  Literally every time you look off an upline you have an open centering swing.

Throwing out of bounds:


The field is huge, how is it possible that you miss it?

1 comment:

  1. We've been practicing a lot of 4v4 with Space recently and I feel like the time value of a throw is magnified with stall 7 and a small field. We play make it take it (just a tap in after a score) and in just a few practices there have been several instances of a team working it and then one guys holds it until stall 6 and throws a turn. The team then gets run into the ground for 3 quick scores and loses.

    In my mind the flow of the field and cutters trumps and potential shot much later in the stall count.

    I die a little on the inside every time someone blatantly ignores a really easy swing pass and proceeds to get stuck on the sideline. I'll be completely dead soon I know it...

    What are some things you like to show people the power of the break arounds and moving the disc quickly?

    ReplyDelete