Wednesday, September 23, 2015

CR#1

I owe Colin Reid answers to two questions:

How do you use the process and the success this year to improve the B team? 

I’ll try to make my answer as straight forward as possible, we don’t change anything about the open source programming.  In 2015 we allowed our practices to be open all season.  Before a tournament we had to set a roster and whenever those were set we split scrimmages so that you were working with your roster.  Kennedy had a pretty good stroke of brilliance when he created four teams: A team OLine, A team DLine1, A team DLine 2, B team.  This allowed us to:
·         Have capacity for about 40-45 people at practice
·         Let individual A team lines to get reps together
·         Allowed the B team guys to exposure to playing against A team guys

So in my opinion, we never completely cut the B team off of our A team.  I think doing this again next year is the best way forward.

(There will be a snag in our season next year.  With the Elite Select Challenge early in the season I am sure people will want to “show up” at the tournament.  I think this mentality is not mutually exclusive with BMU’s culture of being inclusive.)

The other piece to improving the B team is a commitment to teaching fundamentals.  I have said this before but I reckon it bears repeating, advanced teams don’t use “advanced topics” they’re just better at the fundamentals.  If the entire program is focused on reworking their fundamentals, and the B team sees A teamers putting emphasis into their fundamentals, then you narrow the gap between top and bottom of your roster.

What are some things you like to show people the power of the break arounds and moving the disc quickly?

I’ve been pushing this one off because I don’t know the answer to it.  I am developing the opinion that an around hurts a defense more than an upline. 

Upline
Around
1.      Gains yards (between 3-15 yards)
2.      Moves toward trapside
3.      Power Position down the forceside
a.       Downfield defense can help
b.      Next thrower doesn’t have power position
1.      Loses yards (between 1-10)
2.      Moves away from trapside
3.      Power position down the forceside
a.       Downfield defense can’t help
b.      Next thrower does have power position

Based on this as a defensive coordinator I am bothered by easy arounds more than I am by uplines.

That wasn’t a directly on point answer.  This is: 
1.      During Four lines: add a throw where the thrower has to throw a space around for a loss of yards.  Tell the receiver not to move until the pass goes up.  If you want them to throw early arounds they need the technical skill to do so.

2.      Set up a breakmark drill that mimics filling from the front of the stack and continuing the pass to the breakside.  If you want them to throw early arounds you need to drill looking for it at stall 0.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I would consider our practices open source. The analogy doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete