Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Disrespect the game

Disrespect the game and the game will disrespect you.

I have officially been cut from every team that I was interested in playing with.  Moral of the story, cramming doesn't work.  I didn't work out at all from January 21 through April 18th.  I put in about 3 weeks of exercise and I showed up to tryouts completely incapable of catching anyone's eye.  I should add that during those 3 weeks of exercise I did not take a thoughtful or structured approach to training, plot twist this doesn't work.

Do I feel humbled?

No, I knew I wasn't prepared.  I knew that I had disrespected the game.  I thought that I had no chance at Drag'N and a dice roll at MSP and Bird.  1/36 chance of making both, 25/36 chance of making neither.  In the end, the odds stacked against me.  

What now?

I don't know.  If I take another summer off I doubt I will ever be able to make a team ever again.  I took last summer off for a purpose, but I always thought I'd be able to get back into the game and enjoy several more years of playing strong.  Taking this summer off with no reason will likely mean my death knell.

That being said, am I afraid of my death knell?  Do I care to make a team?  Can I be content with work and social activities?  Should I embrace the end and leave the game where it is?

I'm 27.  

Does that matter?  Am I at an age where even if I put in the work I won't be able to get the returns necessary to make the squad.  Does that matter?  Is trying in and of itself rewarding enough?  Where even if next year turns and I still can't crack it, at least the journey would have been enjoyable?

I could play league.  I don't want to play league, that sounds really bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment