Monday, June 5, 2017

Early and undigested thoughts on coaching High School:

I don't think I ever earned the full trust of the girls.  Whenever I would provide them with feedback or try to have a teaching moment, they would always feel victimized.  They would tell me that I was picking on or being unfair to them.  I never found a way to share thoughts in a way that they would feel comfortable owning and digesting the criticism.

The fundamentals are way more basic than I ever could have imagined.  All of the time we spent discussing how to play defense, how to structure an offense or general in-game ideas never found it's way from drills to the field.  If I were the dictator I would go all in on partner throwing and running for practices.  Completing an upline and an incut are really hard.  Doing them well puts you in the cream of the crop.

Hopkins practices from September to June.  Most other schools that were at our level practiced from March 1 to June.  Does this mean we horribly mismanaged our practice time?  Do we desperately need all that practice time in order to stay afloat?  Or is the benefit/returns of having a long season overhyped?

High Schooler's are immensely hypocritical.  It makes me feel good because at least they know what the right thing to do is, it makes me really sad because they lack the self-awareness to check if they are doing it.

If you want kids to hate you, talk down to them.

It is really hard to flesh out a philosophy or a multistep idea with the attention spans at this level.  Everyone is looking for a quick, unbreakable answer.  There is little interest in diving into nuances and grey-scales.


No comments:

Post a Comment