Monday, December 7, 2015

Baseline v Progressive

Over the summer Bank posted an article about education theory, the theory is summarized in the image below:


The top three images outline a “baseline” approach, the bottom three outlines a progressive approach.  The article advocates the progressive approach as the more effective education plan.  This stuck with me because I have always taught Frisbee by utilizing the baseline approach.  As an example I have outlined two strategies for teaching a handler set:

Baseline 1:


Baseline 2:


Baseline 3:


Baseline 4:


Progressive 1:


Progressive 2:


Progressive 3:


Review:

I wanted this to be the theory behind NUTs fall practice plan.  Shockingly, it is very difficult to just pick up a brand new teaching theory and execute it well on the first try.  I found myself reverting back to what I knew and teaching the game as a compartmentalized checklist.

I am still convinced that the progressive method is superior. (http://betterexplained.com/articles/intuition-first-calculus-course/). I like the strategy of trying to develop “intuitive” players rather than robots.  However, if I want to do it effectively I will need to be far more disciplined within the theory than I was during the Fall of 2015.  The obvious solution is that I need more practice / time / help learning to create a progressive approach to teaching ultimate.


No comments:

Post a Comment