Tuesday, October 18, 2016

10.17.2016

Workout:
  • Quick Yoga
  • Glute bridges
  • Resistance band
  • Shuffling
  • 90 minutes of basketball
  • 120-yard shuttles x6 every minute on the minute
I think I am getting into better shape, next time I will do 8 120 yard shuttles.  6/10

I've been balling with Rose's cousins, two of them know how to play and three of them don't.  In the early days, those of who knew how to play could just set up a high-post pick-and-roll and totally crush it because the defense had no idea how to switch or close the gaps.  After a couple of weeks, they started getting smart on us and now they are capable of defending it very well.  

Their improvement pushed me to switch from playing a high-post to a low-post.  I am the only one of the six of us who likes (can?) play the low post so it does set me up to utilize my strengths.  My goal is to set a strong side triangle, but I never shared the plan with the guys so sometimes the off-ball wing will randomly run to the weak side and blow the whole operation.  To fix this I started setting up on the wing, no one else will set up on the low post so by doing this we are invariably starting three wide.  From the wing I'll make a cut to the basket then I stop and set the post on the strong side thus dictating how I want the formation to set up.  I am liking this strategy a lot, during the cut it is easy to get on the defenders back and once at the basket it is shockingly easy to slip in front of them to set a post.  If I want I can cut back and get either a weak side face-up or better yet an in-rhythm three.  If my opposite wing decides to do something weird, I'll just continue the cut through the basket and finish either at the opposite corner, wing, or up top for a ball screen.

One of them did figure out that I was always cutting to the basket so he just stood at the basket waiting for me, a few threes forced him to abandon this strat.

Reading:
  • Midas Paradox Chapter 1
Rabuck and I are launching a "book club" about econ books, anyone want to be a guest?

Notes:

I have decided what I want my money maker to be.  I want to be a "hustle horse".  Am I naturally inclined to be a hustle horse?  Am I exploiting my full potential pursuing this route?  No.  So why hustle horse? Sports are way more fun when you feel like you can haul it.

No comments:

Post a Comment