Thursday, September 15, 2016

9.14.2016

Workout:

1. Basketball - 90 minutes

Reading:

The Two Towers Chapter 6: The Golden King

The action is happening in The Two Towers way faster than I remember.  My memory of Wormtongue was that he took forever to oust from the court of Theoden, the reality is that Gandalf shows up turns off the lights and smashes the slippery-tongued snake in Wormtongue's first scene in the text. Bing-bang-boom.

Notes:

I don't plan on going to Wednesday basketball next week.  It ran too late at night and I don't want to have three nights in a row away from home.  Admitting this bears a heavy weight of implication.  In the name of Ultimate, I have certainly chosen to be away from home multiple nights in a row in.  I have stayed up later than 10:30 with a commute home that was much longer than 15 minutes.  I have knowingly taken caffeine late at night in order to have energy for an Ultimate practice only to get home and buzz away in my bed until 4am.  Did I enjoy doing these things? No.  Did I want to do these things? No.  Would I do it again for? For Ultimate yes, for basketball no.

I took pre-workout yesterday.  I tried to take a half-scoop, so probably 90mg, I thought to myself "heck a coffee is about 175mg I should be able to handle 90mg."

7:30 - all my chronic aches and pains are fading away.

7:32 - Brad's old saying "warm-up in a can" pops in my head.

7:33 - the thought of Brad has me laughing uncontrollably

7:35 - I am alone in my house, but I feel no sense of loneliness, I am currently the most exciting person in the world.  No one has ever told nor heard funnier jokes than I told myself.

7:38 - I am god, I can hear the blades of grass talking to each other, I can smell the vibrations of the air.

7:40 - I am panicking, how am I ever going to fall asleep tonight?  I am tweaking more than the master himself.  

The negatives - I took it 3 hours before bedtime and struggled to fall asleep, I felt anxious, nervous, and incredibly thirsty - why was I so thirsty?

Advantageously I noticed that I was able to push myself harder for longer.  Normally when I try to workout at the end of a day my head starts pounding right away, this didn't happen to me tonight (maybe because my CNS was firing out of control -> that sounds like pseudoscience I'll have to consult Brother Ray).  Part of me felt like Might Guy opening the six gates, I was trashing my muscles and couldn't feel it until I got home and was in bed.

I am currently planning on using pre-workout way less than I originally thought I would.  Which leads to an interesting "sunk-cost" discussion (shout out to my favorite economist Billiam Fralich), the cost of purchasing the pre-workout is in the past, the cost of jitters, nervousness, difficulty falling asleep is in the future.  Spent money is not adequate justification to continue to pay in the future.  I believe it is probably that once I start working at my new job I will have less energy and will then be happy I have some pre-workout in my back pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment